Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Underwater searching

One of the most fun things we did while on our last sailing trip was to explore underwater.  Zetty and I are both have our PADI rescue diver certifications.  Our kids are fascinated with swimming and all things that go with it.  That said, I wondered how we could accomplish this while in the cold of the Arctic.  A little searching on the web and I think I've found the perfect solution.  A homemade ROV was my first thought but after looking at many designs, I knew that there was not enough time.  Then I stumbled upon the super cool OpenROV Project.  This looks like the perfect project for the kids and I to put together   We've already made a few projects from the www.makershed.com including our latest, Tiny Wanderer Complete Kit.  These kits are not terribly hard to build and its a good father daughter team exercise.  As the OpenROV project uses much of the same computing hardware, I thought it could be a good match.  I've ordered the kit and anxiously await its arrival.  I concur with the project's founder's that it could really bring underwater exploration to the masses. Who knows, maybe we'll be the ones to find Roald Amundsen's lost plane!


No comments:

Post a Comment